Alarming Rise in Problems
Doctors and campaigners are calling for better legislation of the cosmetic treatments industry after problems trebled in a year.
Data from Save Face shows that complaints about treatments such as dermal fillers, lip filler and BOTOX® have risen from 378 in 2016 to 931 in 2017. This has prompted renewed calls for better regulation to protect clients against unqualified, unregistered and unskilled practitioners – as data showed 83% of procedures were administered by non-medical professionals.
Ashton Collins, director of Save Face, said:
“In the last year we have received an alarming increase in reports of procedures gone wrong and rogue practitioners.”
Dermal fillers and lip fillers accounted for the greatest proportion of complaints; which included issues with uneven results, lumps, swelling, pain and infection.
There are no requirements for practitioners to have any kind of medical qualification, background, training or registration to carry out these procedures. Unlike BOTOX® Treatment, there is no prescription required either, which means that practitioners can carry out treatments completely independently with no need to involve any medical person at all. When it comes to BOTOX®, practitioners should work with a prescriber in order to get supplies of Botulinum Toxin prescribed for their patient, but there is evidence that some are short-cutting this too, putting patients at further risk.
5 Tips On Choosing A Safe Provider
- Look for someone with medical qualifications and background. They’ll be able to do their own prescriptions, but more importantly, they will have medical expertise and knowledge to enable them to carry out safe and effective treatment
- Look for extra qualifications and training in medical aesthetics
- Look for experience in aesthetics – it’s far easier to trust someone who has worked in aesthetics full time for a number of years
- Review what aftercare is provided – how and where can you contact the practitioner in case of a problem?
- Check before-and-after photos of other patients – make sure you like
At Quinn Clinics, all cosmetic injections are carried out by fully qualified, registered and highly experienced doctors.
About Quinn Clinics
Advanced Skin Treatment Clinic, Bristol
Quinn Clinics based in Clifton, Bristol, was established in 2006 and offers a full range of cosmetic, medical and laser skin treatments. As well as anti-ageing injections, the clinic can offer the latest laser technology including IPL laser and CO2 fractional laser and the new M22 multiple skin technology platform (IPL, ResurFX™ – fractional non-ablative, ND:YAG).
Dr Quinn is a qualified aesthetic doctor with specific expertise in dermal fillers and BOTOX®, based at his own clinic, Quinn Clinics in Clifton, Bristol.
Call 0117 924 4592 or email email@example.com for further information.