If you’re a runner, then adding some pilates to your training regime could be very beneficial complementary exercise for improving your performance.
Studies have been published which show that 2 pilates sessions a week can give runners significant improvement in their 5k times.
In addition, the improved stability, posture and flexibility promoted by pilates help to reduce the risk of injury.
What is Pilates?
Pilates was originally developed back in the 20s. It concentrates on body conditioning with particular attention to core stability/strength and good posture.
Through a series of movements, poses and stretches that work to improve the alignment of the body, breathing and core stability.
For runners, the potential benefits of pilates include:
- Looser hips/legs/back – helping your stride and form for better endurance and speed
- Stronger ‘core’ – giving better posture, control and balance during running
- Better flexibility/joint mobility – leading to faster recovery after a hard run
- Improved muscle condition – reducing fatigue and addressing tightness that build up in a long run
- Improved breathing – learning deep breathing techniques is a benefit in running
- Balance – improving stability as you run, reducing the risk of tripping
Get Set for Running Season
This time of year the streets and parks are full of runners, taking advantage of warmer weather and lighter evenings.
Whether you are training for a marathon, in a running group, doing the ‘Race for Life’ or couch to 5k challenge; adding a pilates session or two to your weekly schedule could genuinely transform your running.
Pilates Redland, Bristol
Small group Pilates classes are available at Innervate health and fitness, based at The May Wellness Centre in Redland, Bristol.
Classes are friendly and accessible to all abilities.
The timetable lists a selection of daytime and evening classes Monday to Thursday with classes running throughout the day as early as 8.30am and as late as 8pm for those who prefer to work out in the evening.
Pilates is led by experienced instructor Bethan Handy.
- Level 3 Mat Pilates
- Level 2 and 3 Gym Instructor and Personal Trainer
- Spin and Boxercise Instructor
- Sports Nutrition & Advanced Nutrition
- Vinyasa Flow Yoga Instructor
- Level 3 Diploma in Sports Massage
- Level 1 and 2 Reiki Practitioner
- Indian Head Massage
- Yoga Nidra (currently studying)
Innervate at The May Wellness Centre
Innervate is an exciting and unique studio in the heart of beautiful Redland at The May Wellness Centre.
The studio offers small group Personal Training, Yoga and Pilates sessions designed for all fitness levels with experienced and highly motivated health and fitness team Bethan and Jack.
The comfortable and intimate exercise space allows like-minded individuals to be part of a community so you feel supported every step of the way on your fitness journey.
There is no long term gym contract – you can start with a ‘class pass’ and take it from there.
Contact The May Wellness Centre
If you’d like to speak to someone about treatment with one of our professionals, please get in touch: