The décolletage is the upper part of a woman’s chest, as exposed by the neckline of clothing.
This area is a significant concern for women as it can show noticeable signs of ageing.
Former ‘Changing Rooms’ presenter Carol Smillie, age 55, has told the press this month how the menopause has caused her to thicken around her middle and the skin on her chest to wrinkle, saying:
“…your chest, your decolletage, sort of wrinkles and you think “What’s that?!” It’s just awful isn’t it.”
She’s not alone to find that a crinkly décolletage can reveal a woman’s age just as easily as her face or hands.
The décolletage is the area of the body most prone to ageing after the eye area. The skin is particularly delicate as it doesn’t produce much oil (due to fewer hair follicles). It is often exposed to the sun and not always thoroughly protected with sunscreen. Finally, the skin can also be stretched by the weight of breasts and therefore prone to the impact of weight fluctuation too.
Once the collagen in the skin breaks down from age and sun exposure, those wrinkles tend to linger and develop into deeper creases.
The ageing décolletage is often associated with the 40s and 50s as hormonal changes associated with the menopause mean thinner skin and less collagen and elastin.
FDA Cleared Décolletage Treatment
Ultherapy is the only FDA cleared treatment for use on the décolletage. The scientifically proven treatment uses focused ultrasound to boost the skin’s recovery, stimulating new collagen and elastin which can reverse the signs of ageing with results than can last over a year.
Before & After Ultherapy
After treatment, décolletage skin appears smoother, tighter, firmer, fresher and more youthful. The complexion is also improved and the skin is a lot more aesthetically pleasing.
Other Décolletage Treatments
Other options that may be considered include:
- Genuine Dermaroller therapy – a microneedling technique which creates multiple tiny injuries to kick-start the skin’s recovery, boosting collagen production for firmer, tighter skin
- Chemical peels – these can do much to improve skin quality and encourage cell turnover, giving the skin a plumper and fresher appearance
- IPL – intense pulsed light treatment, especially effective on age spots and discolouration
- Dermal fillers – cosmetic injections to replenish lost volume may have a part to play if there are specifically deep creases to be addressed
- M22 multi-application system – Quinn Clinics’ latest acquisition, the M22 offers an array of treatment combinations with 4 key technologies:
- IPL – Intense Pulsed Light photorejuvenation
with Optimal Pulse Technology (OPT)
- ResurFX™ – fractional non-ablative skin resurfacing
- Multi-Spot™ ND:YAG – for leg veins or vascular lesions
with Multiple Sequential Pulsing
- Q-Switched Nd:YAG – treatment of pigmented lesions
skin toning treatment
About Quinn Clinics
Advanced Skin Treatment Clinic, Bristol
Quinn Clinics based in Clifton, Bristol, was established in 2006 and offers a full range of cosmetic, medical and laser skin treatments. As well as anti-ageing injections, the clinic can offer the latest laser technology including IPL laser and CO2 fractional laser and the new M22 multiple skin technology platform (IPL, ResurFX™ – fractional non-ablative, ND:YAG).
Dr Quinn is a qualified aesthetic doctor with specific expertise in dermal fillers and BOTOX®, based at his own clinic, Quinn Clinics in Clifton, Bristol.
Call 0117 924 4592 or email email@example.com for further information.